Disable Cortana in Windows 10
The idea behind Cortana was actually quite nice. A small assistant that you can give tasks to via voice command, so that you don’t have to type them in manually on the PC. Thus, the Alexa of Windows! But somehow few users are satisfied with Cortana and many users are afraid that the programs listen too much. Therefore, we show the how to disable Cortana in Windows 10, so you’re back on your own!
Disable Cortana in Windows 10 – not so easy anymore:
There used to be much easier functions to disable Cortana. In the meantime, this has become a smaller challenge, at least if you try it on your own. Therefore, we will show you where to paste what code to make it work. Even if you have no idea about the, registry editor in Windows!
- Click into the Windows search and type “regedit”
- Open the registry editor (must be confirmed as administrator)
Follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- Look here for a folder called “Windows Search”. If it does not exist, create it
- In this folder you need an entry called “AllowCortana”. If it is not there, right click, choose “New” and “DWORD value (32-bit)”. Name it “AllowCortana”. It is important that the first A and the C are capitalized
- Double click on the file and make sure that the value is 0
- Restart Windows once
Although it doesn’t seem very easy at first, once you’ve navigated to the right folder and created the file, you’ll realize that it wasn’t a hurdle after all. We hope that the tutorial helped you and that you will be happy without Cortana on your computer in the future!
Links with * are affiliate links. By purchasing via this link we receive a part of the purchase price as commission without any additional costs for you. This helps us to expand the offers available here for you! Thank you!