Read receipt in Outlook
In case of important mails it may be necessary to know if the recipient has read the message. Therefore, you can request a read receipt in Outlook, so that you are informed when the other person has taken note of the important information. You should not overdo this, because it can be annoying, but for very important messages this is a very good choice. We will show you how to activate a read receipt in Outlook for single mails, but also for all outgoing messages.
Why not overdo it with read receipts in Outlook?
For the recipient, it makes no difference whether he accepts the read receipt or ignores it. But although the effort is the same, a constant request can be annoying. Users are then more inclined to not send the confirmation due to their mood, so you end up getting nothing out of it. Therefore, we really recommend only setting up a read receipt for important occasions.
This is how you send a single read receipt:
- Write a new mail
- Go to the “Options” tab and check the “Request a read receipt” box
This way you send a read receipt for all outgoing messages:
- Start Outlook
- Click on the “File” tab
- Select “Options” and switch to the “E-mail” tab
- Scroll down to the “History” section
- Check the item “Read receipt confirming that the message was viewed by the recipient” and click OK
This way you can track the read receipt:
- Go to the sent items / outbox and open the mail
- In the “View” section you can click on “Status”
- Here you can find all information about the confirmation
- Important: You will find the “View” section only after a read receipt has been sent back by the recipient
We think that the read receipt is an important tool for business communication, but it should be used wisely. In any case, it belongs to the standard repertoire of every user who has to send important messages in business as well. We hope that the tutorial has helped you and that you can now confidently use this feature in Outlook!
Links with * are affiliate links. By purchasing via this link we receive a part of the purchase price as commission without any additional costs for you. This helps us to expand the offers available here for you! Thank you!