Export Outlook contacts
During the last few years, communication via mail has increased a lot. Outlook is therefore a very suitable tool for such tasks. Contacts can be easily managed and transferred to another computer if needed. But how to export Outlook contacts? By creating specially defined files, the data is stored securely. It is very possible to meet individual requirements, if this is necessary. How you can export your contacts from Outlook, we would like to explain in this article.
Why would you want to export contacts from Outlook at all?
We have two scenarios in mind. You have a new computer and of course you want to transfer all your data. And that includes the Outlook contacts. The other would be a BackUp to protect your data from loss. Since the contacts are stored locally, it could otherwise happen that everything is lost in the event of a crash of your computer. We therefore recommend a regular backup in any case.
- Launch Outlook
- Click on “File” in the upper left corner
- Go to “Open and Export” and select “Import/Export”
- Select the item “Export to file” and “Comma Separated values”
- Now find the item “Contacts” and click Next
- Enter the path and the name under which the file should be saved
- Skip the point with “Assign user-defined fields”. The default setting is completely sufficient and click on Done!
Important: When importing, you must be careful not to overwrite any relevant data with the correct setting. Proceed as follows:
- Go to “File” again -> Open and Export -> Import/Export
- This time select the first item: Import from other files and programs
Click again on “Comma Separated values”
- Specify the location and now pay close attention to the option you select. By default duplicates are allowed
- Pay particular attention to where the more recent data set is located. If the imported data is current, then “Replace duplicates with imported elements” can be useful
- Alternatively you can use option 3 to “do not import duplicates
- Now select again what kind of data you want to import. In this case contacts
- Skip again the point with the custom mapping and press Done
The process of exporting and importing contacts in Outlook looks more complicated than it is. However, since the default settings are usually fully sufficient, you can click through the process in just a few seconds to export or re-import your contacts. We hope that the tutorial helped you. If you have any further questions, just let us know on Youtube!
Links with * are affiliate links. By purchasing via this link we receive a part of the purchase price as commission without any additional costs for you. This helps us to expand the offers available here for you! Thank you!