Word drop down list
A dropdown menu is always helpful when you want to give other users the appropriate answer options. This way, an evaluation is often much faster because no individual answers will appear. But how can you insert a drop down list in Word? Basically, the function seems to be not desired by Microsoft, because without prior settings of the user interface it is not possible at all. Fortunately, we have the solution for you!
Developer tools in Word must be enabled:
A dropdown in Word is kept in the Developer Tools tab. But this is not accessible at all by default. So for a dropdown you first have to set the tab so that it appears in the menu and you can work with it. A bit inconvenient, but luckily you can fall back on our tutorial!
First, turn on the developer tools:
- Click on “File” and “Options”
- Select “Customize ribbon” and switch right to the main tabs
- Set a checkmark at the developer tools and confirm with OK
Now you can insert the drop down:
- Switch to the “Developer tools” tab
- Click on “Combo Box Content Control” in the “Controls” group
- The dropdown is now basically there, but the settings are still missing
- While the dropdown is selected, click on “Properties” in the “Controls” group
- Give it a title and select the following settings:
- Display as: Surrounding field
- Color as you like
- “Use a style to format text” if you want a special text type
- “Remove content control when contents are edited” only if inputs other than the default are allowed
- “The content control cannot be deleted” prevents foreign input. We recommend that you set a check mark here
- Now enter the elements you want to be displayed in the dropdown menu at the very bottom via “Add”
- When you are done, click OK
At the beginning, both the preparation and the setting for a dropdown menu seems very extensive. However, once you understand the principle, you can create corresponding menus in a few seconds. We hope that we were able to give you enough input so that you can do this just as quickly in the future!
Links with * are affiliate links. By purchasing via this link we receive a part of the purchase price as commission without any additional costs for you. This helps us to expand the offers available here for you! Thank you!